Monday, May 23, 2011

First post: The Decision, The Ride, and the Planning

Hello, and welcome to Rider 49er. Any of you here likely already know me, but if not, let me give you bit of background on me, and what this blog is attempting to do.
My name is Mark Desrosiers. I've lived in the Boston area all my life, growing up in Green Harbor and attending Boston College for undergrad. Since then, I've been working at a small real estate investment firm, and spending most of my time out of work playing in the Boston music scene with This Blue Heaven and The Backup Factor (webpage pending!). After 25 yrs of enjoying everything Boston and New England has to offer, I knew that I needed a change, both professionally, and geographically. I've thought about attending law school since undergrad, and several years of working in investor service and asset management have convinced me that law school is the best way to turn my talents into marketable skills.  Leaving my friends and band and family is a big step, but hey, I'm not getting any younger.

ANYWAYS I'm going to The University of San Francisco Law School in August. In the fall of 2009, I decided to fulfill a lifelong dream and get my motorcycle license. I've since become enamored with riding motorcycles (apparently, a common byproduct of riding one), and since I'll be spending the next 3 years of my life in a library, I decided to take advantage of having a few weeks downtime between leaving my job and starting school to ride my bike out to San Francisco.

This blog will always be evolving; I plan on making posts about planning the trip (current route follows the old route 66 to LA, then up the PCH to San Francisco), preparing the bike for touring, obtaining the necessary tools and gear for touring, my philosophical approach to travel, camping, and anything else I find myself having to deal with to make sure I make it to SF in one piece, having seen everything I want to. Feel free to offer suggestions, or encouragements, in the comments!

PS - Obviously, the title of this blog is derived from the folk song Oh My Darling, Clementine. As if you didn't know...

Next post; Meet Esmeralda Villalobos

No comments:

Post a Comment